Formuler Z-11 vs, Nvidia and Buzz TV

Firestick was a good way for me to break into the streaming world. Since then I’ve tried a Skystream Pro (still use it in my loft),

Have recently tried out a Nvidia Pro for a month (loved the picture quality and overall ease of use), Next, I tried Buzz TV for 2-weeks (hated the remote, pic good not as good as Nvidia and I was having prob’s recording in the Buzz app),

Today my Formuler Z11 was delivered (setup was easy; could be that I’ve had a lot of practice lately, adding url/epg to the MyTV3 app only took a couple of minutes, picture quality equal to buzz tv (nothing is as good as Nvidia), internal storage at 32 where buzz had 128 but more than adequate for me, and a micro card slot (I prefer over usb) for external storage making recording programs in MyTV3 easy.

Finally, best remote I’ve encountered IMO. Home button and direction arrows very tactile, four short cut keys, and a number keypad.

Formuler Z definitely a keeper for me!!

2 Likes

I’ve also had all 3 and pretty much agree with you. The Shield is best all around and Buzz and Formuler fall into the 2nd tier. I had no issues recording with any of them but the Shield really makes it easy and Buzz with the new network options is a bit ahead of formuler on that but otherwise all 3 great boxes.

1 Like

I’m running my sound through a receiver (Dolby). Does arc line result in better sound than optical line?

2 Likes

I believe arc is better, @Jayhawks659 most likely knows?

2 Likes

Always stick with HDMI wherever possible.

HDMI vs Optical - Which one is better for Audio? - Audiophiles

3 Likes

I don’t think arc has anything to do with quality it’s just an input that’s capable of both sending and receiving a signal.
(Audio return channel)

2 Likes

Found this info. Chart is a good guide:

3 Likes

@PapaS is correct. And if given the choice, you want eARC. You can’t do higher audio formats like uncompressed TrueHD with regular ARC.

And yes, ARC is better than toslink optical cable.

2 Likes

Most newer devices like TVs and receivers have the ARC function, but not all have the eARC. So I agree with everyone here, that is the way to go, just be aware that it is preferred when shopping for devices if you want the highest end audio. Sorry for misinterpreting the initial question, I assumed it was an HDMI vs Optical question.

I want to thank everyone for helping me learn the many aspects of streaming. This forum is more informative than most of the courses I’ve taken in college.

4 Likes

I just watched a video (5 mo old) from Dream Machine. According to the info. I cannot integrate my Z11 IR1 Remote to control power/vol with this remote. I would have to buy their blue-tooth remote (GTV-B1) for an additional $29.45 at Amazon). This was a total surprise to me :thinking:

1 Like

UPDATE: New remote came yesterday. Couple of differences, like google voice, but mostly identical. It worked immediately; no syncing required. What I learned was (I think Troypoint may have said this in review) both remotes sync with tv on/off power and adjust tv volume (not sure about receiver) however, there is a 10 sec delay. Being a very impatient person I mistook the delay for not working. Will be sending second remote back :joy:

1 Like

Can someone provide me with step-by-step instructions on how to save tv programs on the Formuler Z11 built in app (MyTV3) and/or tivimate. As it stands now I downloaded x-plore and it finds my SDcard on the Z11. My tivimate is set to record to the correct path. It looks like programs are recording by the time marked on the recording, but when I select to watch, no program available. I am connecting through my ethernet rather than wifi.

1 Like

when you record in tivimate a red dot will appear indicating in progress. Do you see this dot? and does it stay on? If configured correct the light(dot) will remain on.

1 Like

The red light is on and the recording indicates 60 mins not the 1 min that is an error. Typically, I just select recording in tivi to watch. The recording does not show up in x-plore. Is it possible the recording in is stored in different location?

1 Like

Dont Forget the Final Exam at the end of the Semester. TroyPointology Degrees are not just handed to you! :mortar_board:

1 Like

I understand the Z11 Pro model allows recording. Are other apps required to do this ? Would rather not add these unless they provide important features
or are necessary.

More questions…. what is the difference between Catchup and recording
as they relate to DVRing ?