Firestick 4K freezing issue

I have had 2 firestick 4Ks now that over a few months or so started acting up by freezing or stopping and I have to hit the play button again to get it playing again. It does not matter if I am watching YouTube tv, or an IPTV service. I have relaxed the cords to no avail. Any ideas on what causes this? I also still have about 2 GB of storage left on the fire stick 4K so it is not a storage issue.

I had the same problems while originally buying and using a fire stick when I got into streaming 6 years ago. There is simply not enough of a memory buffer or device cooling while streaming in high definition. There are also too many apps downloaded by Amazon you can’t get rid of which take up too much memory. My solution early on was to dump the fire stick and get a TV Android box with at least 4 gbs of ram, 32 gbs of internal storage and good ventilation to prevent your processor from overheating. I’ve had none of these problems since ditching the fire stick.

1 Like

Sim_Bill, please let me know which device you purchased? I’ve wasted so much time with this. Thank You.

1 Like

I did the same, I have the Mecool device and have had zero problems with it.

1 Like

I ended up with 2 android devices, a Magicsee N5 plus and a Ugoos AM6 pro. Both have 4 gbs of ram and 64 gbs of internal memory, run on Android 9 and have adequate ventilation for cooling. Both run great and have external antennas for better WiFi connectivity. Check on Amazon or Gearbest sites for availability and prices. The Ugoos will cost a bit more.

1 Like

Thanks, bill_sim. I appreciate your advice.

1 Like

Not to butt in but I was reading this thread. I bought a new Nvidia Shield Pro off a FB sale sight. It is the best streaming device I have ever seen in my opinion. Sorry for butting in on your conversation.

1 Like

I have had 4K since they came out in 2017 and still do. I don’t have any freezing like you describe. I got rid of as much Amazon Bloatware as I can, switched to the Wolf Launcher, stopped Amazon updates and make sure before every major streaming event that I use my Background Apps And Process List to remove anything running in the background. I never plug into the TV for power but a proper wall plug on it’s own. After every day of streaming I clear all caches before shutting down and I unplug the power. I did read where another member found he needed a new power brick. I use the ones supplied by Amazon.

1 Like

I too have 2 firestick 4k and have had no issues. Make sure you have separate power connection, USB to extend storage, clear cache and close apps regularly. Installing a Debloat app would also be good. Cheers.

3 Likes

Make sure to use a plug outlet for power and not the TV usb. Also, use the short HDMI extender from the stick. It helps keep TV heat away from the stick.

2 Likes

Miki
Do you have a list of Amazon bloatware that you can safely pause? The first time I tried I went to aggressive and had problems with apps not working. This time I was ultra-conserve. But I think I can disable a lot more without issues. Just not sure which ones.

Good afternoon. If you go to techdoctoruk.com he has a tutorial on this there.

1 Like