Fire stick 4k streaming

Hello, looking for help. I have two 4K fire sticks one downstairs and one upstairs both are hardwired. The downstairs stick plays 4K movies just fine. Upstairs stick will only play 1080P movies. 4k stutters until kodi shuts down. Internet speeds are about the same 100mbps. Any help would be appreciated, thx

Sounds like your upstairs signal is getting interrupted somehow. Reboot your router and or modem. Also your sticks. Welcome, hope this helps

1 Like

i use a wifi booster upstairs does the trick

1 Like

What speed is your internet service from your ISP? The thing that I dislike about hardwiring Firesticks, is the Amazon ethernet adapter is only rated to that 100Mbps. Which is still plenty to stream even 4k, just me griping a bit. If your service is well over 100Mbps and you have a gigabit port on a box, it helps use the real speeds that you pay for. Are you using a VPN (if so, which one)? I would say start with rebooting sticks, modem, etc etc and use some of the cleaners like SDMaid or DefSquid to clear clutter out of each stick. I would also get into the habit of making sure to shut down unused apps as the memory is very important for that level of streaming.
(Also, WELCOME!)

1 Like

Is your upstairs TV capable of playing 4K?

yes
works ok and good internet speeds

I’ve restarted the firesticks but have not rebooted the router or modem yet but will try that. Yes the samsung projector and samsung tv are both 4K. I am using IPvanish. I pay for 1 gig speed. I get about 350 mbps without ipvanish and about 100 with it running using speed check on firesticks. My computer gets about 600-700 mbps. It may be time to get my provider involved

I would still restart modem/router and rerun tests before getting your ISP involved. Do you hardwire the sticks with the Amazon ethernet adapter or a different way? What router do you have?

After switching fire sticks and usb hubs as a unit, the problem followed the fire stick. Then I switched the usb hubs to find out if it was the fire stick or the hub. I have a fire stick that wont pass 4k signals. I’ll put the good fire stick upstairs and order a nvidia shield pro for downstairs. Thanks for all the help

A little pricey, but well worth the investment if you are looking for performance. Especially in 4k with upscaling, etc. If you plan on hard wiring the Shield Pro, the gigabit ethernet port will get you the speeds you pay for from your ISP. If you were going to stick with a Firestick for upstairs, the Max is a great option too (currently on sale at Amazon for $34.99). Not sure if you have a Wifi 6 capable router, but if you did, you may not even need to hardwire the Max to get terrific speed from the AX technology.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 7 days. New replies are no longer allowed.