DuckDuckGo joins big tech censorship

Extremely disappointing

While this list is obviously outdated, a lot of the information is still valid and quite educational if you take the time to read all of it.

Also, and I cannot state this enough times. Unless you want problems (for real, as in people even showing up at your door), always use a VPN when using TOR.

*Btw, 2 possible reasons why your videos arenā€™t working over TOR. 1. Check your bridge, if youā€™re hopping through a country that censors it is possible this is the cause OR 2. The TOR browser (based on Firefox, uses DuckDuckGo as default (expect this to change there are rumors floating around)) modifies a lot of settings to protect you and your privacy. In other words, comb through your TOR browser settings and adjust (thus disabling some protection). Which is why a VPN is so important.

Anyways, check out this (slightly outdated) link :

P.S. Be sure to read the section on using The Onion Search engine (from within TOR) to browse uncensored (yet illegal, so use at your own risk (USE A VPN!)) clearnet sites. Note, I have not yet confirmed whether this info is still correct.

UPDATE : The site I linked has a lot of interesting articles and links. BE CAREFUL. Read carefully before you act. This is serious stuff.

They also endorse NordVPN because it supports TOR passthrough.

2 Likes

Slippery slope, yes. But Russian lies have to be countered. I have mixed feelings on this but at the end of the day, Iā€™m with anyone whose blocking this Russian crap.

@JediJudy Hi there
Sorry you are extremely disappointed! but i wonder why.
Iā€™m not sure if you understand this topic correctly? Because this topic is about the technological aspect of search engine, browser, VPN and bypass blocking and nothing else.
I hope you understand that some members take your disappointment differently than the intent of this topic.

@sktn77a
Sorry for making a political statement on this topic! I donā€™t know if you also understand this topic correctly? This topic is again about the technological aspect of search engine, browser, VPN and bypassing the blockade and nothing else, especially no political statement.
I hope you also understand that I think your language is undervalued.
My advice to you is that you read the entire topic carefully before posting any comments.

@Matrix

Duck duck go doesnt belong with big tech censorship. So its disappointing.

I typically dont allow most political discussions. Some comments are okay as long as it stays that way.

You didnā€™t make any political comments, but lets try to stay on topic here. People will ether agree or disagree with the direction of this broswer. But thats their choice. I wont stop people from agreeing or disagreeing from this topic discussion as long as it stays frendly without bashing one another or going off the deep end with political views. Its not suppression of speech just this website isnt ment for that.

Anyways, this topic is about duck duck go. Please try to becareful when engaging someone if you think they are wrong or should re read the topic before posting. Their comments we showing interest/dislike towards the big tech censorship. Use the flag option if you need to.

4 Likes

@sktn77a

Dont think that has anything to do with what this is We shouldnā€™t be blocking anyone, thats up to the people to decide if they want to believe it or not. Its why we have coice and research, if all research get blocked and only funnled into one thing then we cant truly make up our own minds.

3 Likes

Weā€™ll, the topic is about censorship, hence a ā€œslippery slopeā€. Where we draw the line is a personal decision but at some point a line must be drawn. IMHO.

1 Like

@TP-Dracoo
Thanks for your feedback of course everyone can agree or disagree I have absolutely no problems with that.

But when a comment is posted after my commet with extreme disappointment without further explanation why I thought I was addressed, and another mentions a name of a country with lies I thought this went off topic but luckily it isnā€™t.

Anyway. Iā€™ll keep that in mind in the future, and I hoop that all comments will stay in itā€™s topics and no one and or county wil be insulted.

Thanks again I appreciate your feedback.

3 Likes

unfiltered is how it should be. I decide not youā€¦plain and simple, nuf said :skull:

3 Likes

@sktn77a

I agree.

@Matrix

I understand. But the reply was ment for the topic. Im not at all giving you a hard time. All is well.

I appreciate everyons response to this. I suggest everyone to look into alternatives sources

Brave (for now)
Freenet
Tor
Onion

4 Likes

My sincere apologies, I definitely contributed to the thread going off-topic. Post deleted.

2 Likes