I started getting this on one of my playlists. What does it mean and is this playlist now dead?
Sounds like the playlist has coding errors in the Digital Rights Management call. This may be corrected in the next update for that list. Sometimes it’s a matter of updating the playlist. Not sure there is anything that us average users could do.
You should contact your provider and tell them or even better show a screen shot of the error message. It is drm related and should be addressed by them. Nothing you can do behond that except find another provider. …(they hate screen shots)
Since it was working and there has been no change on my end, I figured it wasn’t anything I could remedy but wanted to be sure.
Oh well, I won’t delete that playlist for a week or so and see if the m3u gods fix it
Thanks for the response!