Debating on the Fire Stick Max

Is the fire stick max worth getting? I traded in an old fire stick for a discount and I have the max just sitting in my cart. Trying to get some feedback on the max, I currently have the 4K.

I have one coming. I’ve tested every incarnation of the Firestick except the lite and my 2018 1st gen 4K still blows them all away so I’m excited by the new specs and as soon as I get my hands on it I’m putting it through it’s paces. I’m excited.

1 Like

If you dont mind spending extra money, Nividia Shield is far superior.

1 Like

The thing is, Why would I spend all that money when I don’t need storage, I don’t record., and the Firestick does everything I want? Not really into wasting money. Sometimes there is simply overkill.

2 Likes

There are times when I have a movie that would not play properly on my 4K Firestick and switched to my Shield, Bingo it played!
I have both plugged into one TV set, as my cable company needs a stick to stream.
So I have the same movie apps loaded on both.
However when I watch movies I use the Shield.

1 Like

Way faster and much more memory built in, Superior product.

@Ted1
For you this makes sense as you have issues. I don’t. I have no idea what it’s like to have anything buffer when I’m watching it, and I give part of the success, for that, to Troy and to the knowledgeable members here. My 2018 1st gen 4K works as good today as the day I set it up.

2 Likes

In your esteemed opinion. Superior is based upon your beliefs. Some people need more and can afford it. I don’t need anything more and so for me the Firestick is the superior product. It does precisely what I ask of it and really, isn’t that all anyone can ask?

2 Likes

I pre ordered it and got 20% off and traded in my 4k for an additional 8$ so spent 34$ on it. The best thing about it is the wifi 6 upgrade. i have an Orbi wifi 6 mesh router. Plus it is a little faster.

1 Like

I don’t really have issues.
After years of playing and studying Android and other boxes I have learned all the tricks
for buffering fixes.
EVERYONE HAS AN OCCASSIONAL BUFFER.
This is the nature of the beast.
I just meant that on those few occasions I use the Shield and it plays those movies when the stick doesn’t.
I love my four 4K sticks and my Shield.
Just trying to give some input from a Shield user since that was the topic.

1 Like

If the 4K works then stick with it. You aren’t gaining much by upgrading to the max. I wouldn’t even buy a max over a regular 4K if I needed to buy a new device. The marginal improvements are not worth the extra $20-25. And if you’re one of those people that just need to have the best of the best… You aren’t buying a firestick.

2 Likes

Once again we agree to disagree. The upgrades are worth it on the Max, and the firestick is the best of the best for my needs. Not once in 3 years has my 4K 1st gen failed me. Have a great day.

1 Like

Hi @cwpark
Here’s my two cents, take it or leave it.
I have a Firestick 4k, running without any trouble. My only interest in the Max would be if it helps me stream better than I’m doing now. So, because I only stream, I don’t need a device to record or store things (at least not yet); so unless the device dramatically improves my streaming experience over what I have now (and like I said, I don’t have any issues), then I’m inclined to leave well enough alone.

2 Likes

I have the Max on the way. I’ll give you a full and honest evaluation on if it’s any better, or worse, than my 2018 1st gen 4K. Like you, I have no issues with my “old” 4K and it has performed perfectly for me. 4yrs old and still humming right along. The 2020 and 2021 models that came out sucked big time. Bring on the Max.

1 Like

Hi

I believe Troy evaluated the new firestick Max, check out his video

Yes he did. 3 Weeks ago. I’ll do one myself and give it a deep dive. Troy is a busy young man and I’m retired so I have a bit more time to give it a very thorough testing. I really want to see if any of the dozens of apps I’ve tested will perform differently on the max compared to a 4 yr old 4k. Tx

2 Likes

Can you clear the cache on your new 4k max?

Lol. I haven’t got it yet.

Gary,

Good Point on the Wifi 6 upgrade
With the Wifi 6 Protocol now available on the FS Max, users that run home mesh networks supporting WiFi 6 {Eero, Orbi, etc.) will see a difference. Also, IF you’re using FIOS Gigabyte access, even better**!!!**
These 2 improvements along with the .5 gig RAM bump up on the FS Max is bound to be an improvement. I definitely know the lack of On-Stick storage was a collective bummer when the specs was announced last month.
I am hoping these early Black Friday type sales coming up at Best Buy/Walmart/Amazon will have the FS Max discounted.
Am also interested in trying out the Amazon Fire TV 4 Series & Fire TV Omni Series Smart TV models designed and manufactured by third party, TCL.
Now Toshiba and Insignia and Pioneer TV’s are being sold with Fire TV software. Looks like these will be discounted this holiday season!

2 Likes

From what I’ve read, as well as the reviews, the average user won’t be able to notice much of a difference between the Max and the 1st gen 4K, but I can’t see that’s entirely true. The max has superior programming that allows it to configure and control “external” storage. This does mean that some will have a difficult time learning these techniques as in fact if you want to install and move your apps to this added usb drive you will have to format it as an “internal” storage. What, you thought Amazon was going to make it easy? Personally I’m excited. Bring it on baby.