Block Amazon update - 7.6.2.4

Well that’s odd. I went to tutorials and the tutorial is not in the list

1 Like

If I had a fire stick with one of the newer OS versions I would just go ahead and fully root it. As far as I know that can still be done. Just risk bricking it. But at this point, who cares.

2 Likes

I just factory reset my Max. Version 7.6.2.4 is the earliest that it comes with (just like the thread title states)…and it then wants me to start throwing more updates. So according to the list, this one is unusable too.

Ok Big issue. It creates a virtual VPN and then I cannot use another VPN. So that’s a hard no.

I did it on my 7624 but quit once I got to the part where I have to use a virtual VPN and then cannot use split tunneling or my own VPN. So as I have to use a split tunnel for one app then this method is out.

To be honest, this thread is moot unless you have one of the “special” versions of a Firestick. In those few versions, you should be able to use Launcher Manager and fully customize like we used to. Outside of that, I have no earthly idea why we would block the updates. I know it is cool to defeat Amazon by keeping them from happening, but if it doesn’t get us anything usable, what’s the point?

3 Likes

Believe it or not there are still people working on this. I follow time to time on the XDA developers website.

I think people want to block updates because you never know what is coming down the road. It should be in your power to pick and choose what updates you want

2 Likes

This has been going on for quite some time. Every method either has been defeated or has a major flaw like this method does.

That’s what makes it fun… trying to mess with code and enhance or change the devices functionality.

Not as easy as you think nor can it be done with just a few programs. The hardware and software are linked and you will end up bricking the unit entirely. It would take a few sticks, taking them apart and removing the efuse or disabling it somehow. There may have been people who have but are really not showcasing it. By all means tho try.

I blocked system updates long ago. I’d have to buy a new one to try to root it. And I’m not going to do that just for fun. But I would try it if I had a stick with a newer OS version.

It is like Dracoo said. It isn’t easy. But with some electronic component experience you could possibly bridge the right components using say a graphite or carbon pencil. Amazon e fuse is a concern. But if I was going to go to that much effort I’d simply buy a higher spec device. For me the Max is still working perfectly and none of Amazons machinations have adversely affected my viewing pleasure in any way.

I just don’t understand this fascination with the Amazon cat and mouse routine. A lot of time, frustration and money to do what any Android TV device can already do.

That’s the thing. Nothing Amazon has done has stopped anyone from using the Max just the same as always. Ya they stopped some from doing things like blocking updates, but who cares? The updates have helped me more than hindered me. Ppl just like complaining. I enjoy hours of buffer free entertainment daily. Have fun and STREAM ON!!

1 Like

So do I, but I don’t have to jump through a bunch of hoops to do so. Seems every single day there are a lot of folks having issues with using Amazon products, and what was stated before, it seems likely it ain’t gonna git better any time soon.

Btw, that is exactly what I do without issue every single day is “stream on” without complications…

I know. As mentioned ppl like to complain. I’ve never had any hoops to jump through to use my Max. No different for me than using the KM2 which sits in a cupboard due to AndroidTV issues and things I don’t like, but I don’t bash it every day. Waste of my time, when I can be streaming my favourite programs without concern using my Max. Simple really. Most complaints are blown out of proportion imho. Use what ya like and enjoy. Life is to short not to.

Price point or not, Amazon is not friendly and is getting more and more intrusive with every passing day.

Untitled video

And so is google. Check their policies. They’re all the same. It’s all about money. I just prefer to enjoy what I have and like, and not waste energy on things I can’t change and don’t want to.

Hey Powerfader did you run a de-bloat tool on yer Shield? :joy:…yea me neither :roll_eyes: :love_you_gesture:

Both parties allow you to side load outside apps, so what is the issue? When that option is gone then id say ditch. Also google is not as restrictive as amazon and thats a fact. Will it happen? Maybe.