Beware Surfshark renewal

That’s not how it worked for me recently - the bot will take you to an immediate “Cancel Account” option (with no pro-rated refund). I had to chat with their live person to get to the “turn off Auto Renewal” link.
It’s a pity they resort to such underhanded methods to do business but I guess it’s a case of Welcome to the “Brave New World”!

Worked for me couple months ago when I turned mine off. I suppose they could’ve changed it and are now playing hardball.

Really?

1 Like

can you not use a visa gift card

I got IPV for $69/2 years for lifetime. Never had a problem, so auto renew me forever!

2 Likes

I have IPVanish for at least eight years. Their customer service is very good and will set it up for you to renew at the same rate every renewal. For me, that’s $79 for two years.

1 Like

Hi from Surfshark! @Nortonics , apologies for the misunderstanding and the inconvenience you experienced! We would like to get in touch with you to take a look at your case and find the most suitable solution.

We also want to make sure that we do not prevent users from buying subscriptions on top of the subscriptions they already have. Users can extend their subscriptions even before their existing ones run out.

As Surfshark is a subscription-based service, our paid services renew automatically at the end of each service period, and your chosen payment method is charged again. This way we can ensure that the users can get uninterrupted protection online. However, before the renewal, users receive an email about the upcoming payment and the possibility to opt out.

You can always reach us at support@surfshark.com or via live chat on our site. Our support team is happy to help!

5 Likes

yesterday i used the link @ilpadrino provided, and yes, with the Bot at first it seems like you are only trying to cancel your account, but if you just keep going you get to the part about stopping auto-renew…so pretty easy in a short time… :+1:

Ok, so we have solved the SS auto renew issue. Now, let’s start tackling the other, multitude of issues, such as, disconnecting, constantly needing to switch protocols and servers.

Oh, and btw @Surfshark, why do you set your subs as auto-renew as the default? Why not let the sub check a box if they wish for auto-renew? …jus’ sayin’

What...

1 Like

Hey everybody, here’s some interesting and favorable details that have occurred over the past 24 hours.

I’ll forgo any name dropping as I think the important part of this update is that through numerous paths an acceptable understanding and resolution has occurred regarding my issue. I do have to say to TXRon that I laughed out loud when I saw your post with Clint squint! I could swear I heard Ennio Morricone playing behind me… :upside_down_face:

First, thank you Troypoint members for your replies to this subject. I absolutely believe the attention that this subject has brought made a substantial difference with the inevitable outcome with my issue. It’s obvious the collective Troypoint group as a whole holds worthy power. Second, thank you to Troypoint and its Founding Members for having me on your forum. And finally, thank you to the Surfshark Customer Support Shark who worked to resolve my issue to my satisfaction.

Quite out of the blue I received a personal message from one of the Troypoint Founding Members yesterday asking if he could approach Surfshark with my email address to request additional investigation. I was a little apprehensive about this as I really wanted any inquiry to be situated as a request for everybody’s sake rather than just my own. I accepted his request. Fast forward to this morning, I received the following email from Surfshark:

Hi there, Thomas.

I hope this email finds you well.

First of all - apologies for the misunderstanding that you described in your post on Troypoint. I am sure that we will manage to find the best-fitting solution for this situation.

As all our subscriptions are set to be renewed to an annual deal after the initial purchase expires, your initial 2-year deal was extended for 1 year only. However, you should have been able to extend your two-year subscription manually with no issues.

We understand the frustration that this situation caused you and would be happy to keep you as a customer, thus we would love to offer you an extra 12 months for free on top of your renewed one-year subscription.

In case you decide not to take on this offer, you are also eligible for a refund, as you still have the full 26 days on your trial. Just let me know if you decide to go that route, and I will assist you.

I would also appreciate it if you could specify if you used this email address when attempting to renew your subscription manually. For some reason, I cannot see any unsuccessfully attempted payments under the email address #######@gmail.com. Thus I am not able to comment on what could have caused the issues you have experienced when trying to extend your subscription.

Have a great day and I’ll be patiently waiting for your update.

All the best,
#############
Customer Success Shark

I replied that my PayPal email address was in fact different than my Surfshark email address and supplied him with that detail. I further indicated that I would like to take him up on his offer for an additional year of subscription time, free of charge. Checking my Surfshark account a short time ago I can concur that my current subscription has been set to two years.

Again, thank you everybody here on the forum, thank you Troypoint Founding Member(s), and thank you Surfshark. I sincerely hope this subject matter makes for a better and smoother experience for all Surfshark subscribers in the future.

2 Likes

Non sequitur! Just because it’s a subscription based service doesn’t mean you should be locked in to auto renewal - it should be an optional, opt-in process!

4 Likes

Yep. We never know who’s at the other end. I stopped using iptv service and just use KODI for live sports

So using the bot you actually hit the “cancel account” button? And it will lead you to access “auto renew” and NOT cancel the account (I don’t want to cancel at this point)?

I forget what exactly I punched in, might try auto renewal off, etc.

Correct. But it doesn’t tell you that up front so most people won’t hit the “Cancel Account” button!

3 Likes

I got the notice from a place called Clever bridge. Went to their website clicked on cancel subscription renewal. Refunded right away. Went to surfshark bought the 28 month deal for $60??.

Get a real reliable VPN Mullvad or Proton VPN they don’t advertise like other VPN services , that send your deals to you email every couple of month with deals… Mullvad doesn’t do that and Proton also there Swiss based and Swedish base

I use both for different reasons Proton VPN is expensive but it’s solid especially if you want to use services outside country like me I can stream HULU Peacock and Paramount+ and discovery+ I crackle XUMO FilmRise I have never had any issues in the last 3 years streaming .

PS I’m not advertising for any VPN I’m just stating my opinion with results that works for me

Cheers

At least Nord VPN has a auto renewal switch so your able to turn on or turn off, But thank you for the info I put it my calendar 5 days before it renewals so I can cancel Surfshark.

Fyi, If you are interested, I just saw that Express is running a deal at $80 for 15 months right now. …and that is why you should never do an auto renew!

At least Express makes it simple to turn on/off auto-renew.

1 Like