Android TV vs Fire TV - A Complete Breakdown for 2023

5 Likes

Great info and very informative. Thanks so much.
I JUST learned from a youtuber I watch who was covering the latest CES show that TIVO is coming out with their own TV Operating System. I have not delved further into research, but HEADS UP FOLKSā€¦More players in the game! Will this be to our (IPTV enthusiasts) advantage as something to rival Fire TV and Android? I guess we shall seeā€¦ lets hope that new competition works in our favor to help keep us cord free!

2 Likes

I think for the first-time cord cutter the Onn would be a good choice. Easy to install and can add USB storage. Price Onn 19.99 expanded about 20.00.

1 Like

If they would be available, I agree 100%.
My friend, Miki doesnā€™t agree, but even my techno-phobe wife likes it much more than the Fire devices weā€™ve had & used.

Installing adoptable (expanded) memory is about a 15 minute job, but afterward that expanded memory is available for both recording AND for more appsā€¦extremely handy for me.

I would disagree with TPā€™s assetment that an entry-level Firestick would be better than an entry-level Android box with a TV OSā€¦the shifting FS launcher intro screen is NOT intuitive for the beginner. With the Android, an app is left exactly where you left it, not shuffled bythe ā€˜last usedā€™.

1 Like

The only reason I might disagree with you Elgin is all up to ease of use and setup. I also prefer a good quality picture, which the ONN is lacking in. The main half dozen apps I use are on my home screen on the top line and remain there. Other apps are easily accessed using the icons also located on the home pagge top line. Itā€™s all up to experience and learning. Also the Max doesnā€™t take 15 minutes to add memory so that alone gives you an idea of your upcoming experience on those devices that take 15 minutes. Itā€™s a good thing we all have options and none of us are identical. So get what ya want, learn, and enjoy, regardless of the OS.

I canā€™t say anything about picture quality comparing the Max with the ONN, I can say that there was no discernable difference between the older 4k and the ONN.

And adding memory to the Max is a lot easier , true, that added memory is not as useful as the added memory for the ONN. Having to choose between adding apps or recording football and basketball games is the deal-killer for the Max .

Nothing else that I operate takes any longer to do on the ONN than it does any Fire device that weā€™ve owned.

I dusagree but donā€™t want to get into a tit for tat. Yes the older 4k are not as good as the new Max, thatā€™s a given. The Max outperformed the ONN in every way. Thatā€™s why I gave the ONN away. Odd for such a supposedly good device they arenā€™t making any more and I havenā€™t heard of any upgrades. Theyā€™ll go the way of the Dodo. Oh btw. The Max are back on sale. Canā€™t wait for the 3rd gen cube to go on sale.

Itā€™s extremely difficult to compare picture ā€œqualityā€ between two devices. There are way too many variables to get a proper comparison, and most of it comes from the source. If you compare two different devices, using the same exact source (resolution, bitrateā€¦) and same exact TV (same exact picture settings), etc, all of the devices we are talking about should be able to handle that and put a beautiful picture on the television (up to 4k resolution for most devices). With everything else equal, it becomes very subjective and we likely ā€œsee what we want to seeā€.

The Max has better components, better specs, there is no doubt. But if setup properly, the Onn box is marketed as a 4k capable device as well.

1 Like

Thatā€™s the thing. The ONN is decidedly lacking, not only in picture quality but ability to adjust said picture and overall specs. The tools inside are primitive imho. I am comparing the two devices on precisely the same identical setup. The ONN tools are primitive or completely lacking. I do agree The ONN is great as a beginner device for those just learning but thatā€™s all. As I mentioned, even the supplier and manufacturer arenā€™t upgrading it and I havenā€™t seen any major updates to the device anywhere. But Iā€™m flogging a dead horse. But I get why ppl might want this. Kids=expensive ONN=cheap so if it dies or they brick it itā€™s just $20. Ok. Carry ONN everyone. No sense in me flogging a dead horse. Iā€™m out.
Have fun and STREAM ON!!

I have the Onn in my 4 year oldā€™s room, so picture quality isnā€™t as important to me there. I think we are discussing (not arguing lol) more picture ā€œperformanceā€, and yes, I agree 100% the Max beats the $20 Onn all day and twice on Sunday in overall performance based off itā€™s more quality components.

1 Like