Amazon update does it again

So today I decided to set up a new 4K Max that I can take to customers houses so they can see what can be done. As usual I installed a bunch of stuff and began the optimization process. Part of that is ES File Explorer that I use to recover space by returning a bunch of Amazon installed apps, like Amazon Shopping to their factory presets. Well they have now discovered that ppl are doing it, and changed their module coding, so that now I can no longer do that, as access to system apps now requires root access, and you can’t turn on any root access switches on the Max. I even tried an old ES as I thought perhaps it was an App update that caused this behaviour. Nope, it’s definitely in the Max coding now. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

7 Likes

Putting it into context, there is no rational reason for them to do this as they must understand if one puts it back to default there are two chances we are going to use this app, zero and none so they gain nothing but annoy users who may be reluctant to keep buying this product. Just let us use it the way we want as most of your installed base will use it the way you want.

10 Likes

Amazon is going to drive new and existing customers into the android box route

8 Likes

I’m almost there. My last hooo haw may be the 3rd gen cube to see if it’s any different.

2 Likes

It’s such a shame what they’re doing to consumers. They will drive people away. I believe like I’ve said a long time ago…it’s going to get worse

4 Likes

I guess I understand why they do it, but knowing I have other options definitely will drive me away. They sell these very powerful devices for next to nothing, maybe even losing money on them, to get people into the Amazon world, but they obviously do it so that they will sell their content through the stick and cubes. Not much different than a salesman selling a power drill for way under cost to, in-turn, get the more consistent and long-term drill bit business that a contractor will be using on jobs for years to come. I’m sure Nvidia doesn’t love the fact that cord cutters get around their launcher and don’t pay for their content, but at least they are making more profit on the device sales. Hopefully that will keep them from locking them completely down as Amazon is trying to do. As always, it will be a back and forth game, so we’ll see what happens if their device sales start to go down as the coding on them gets more and more locked down.

2 Likes

i have cubes here in the mtn( gen 2) and love then i do add usb drive to them to increase storage back in fla i have the 2017 nviada shield and its great except i have issues with thier updates ev erytime i get one so i think whatever you get there is something not to like

i like how the cube controls both my tv and sound system it does it better than nvida did back in fla

To be fair the stick wasent ment for a unit to have all these side loaded apps and all this space. Its a small piece of hardware, plug and play with your paid apps. Its how i see it.

The shield, 3rd gen cube and fourmler are better suited for more options.

5 Likes

Are there any other modifications that this latest update does? Of course no way to block it in the latest OS, unless you changed your router to block the Amazon updates URL.

3 Likes

Amazon is adding a ton of new modules and I have no idea what half of them do. Still looking through them all and trying to find out what they are for.

1 Like

If you drop a frog in boiling water, he’ll jump out of the plot. Put him in warm water and slowly turn up the heat… Amazon disciples, look at the frog next to you. Amazon makes devices that allow streaming, but their main purpose is to promote Amazon. Android devices are built for streaming. Inexpensive=TiVo, for a little more, think MeCool, Ugoos, Formuler which also have high end along with Nvidia, etc. The water getting hot? Jump!

4 Likes

I saw this as an old skool techie what was going down. Big corp lures you in with these cheap boxes and now with outside pressure I would imagine and inside peeps wanting to spoon feed you they turn on you and boom…off to other devices. This happned to me early on in the streaming wars :joy:… I bounced out and feel better for doing so. Don’t fence me in :skull:

2 Likes

My stumbling block is AndroidTV sucks IMHO. So until and if they get too invasive I’ll stick to the OS that in my opinion is superior FireTV. Now I wouldn’t be apposed to getting a Formuler Z11 from Santa. A tad to expensive for me at the moment though. .

4 Likes

Why keep banging your head against the wall. Get rid of Amazon and get a Nvidia or something similar. Bezos is not going to let up and Amazon products are not going to get better!
jus my 2¢

5 Likes

Agree… get out & dont promote theyr stuff, unless money is the main issue

remember the hobby is streaming, not maintaining yur storage…

3 Likes

Lol. You all make me laugh. There is simply nothing wrong with the FireTV OS. I love my Max. Ads??? What ads? I never get any. Until google improves their OS and adds some good tools I’m still stuck on FireTV. Google is going the same route, just in a more subliminal manner. I have google devices and simply don’t like them. An onn and KM2 are crammed in a junk drawer. Anybody coming here can have them free.
We always manage to get the streaming we want regardless of any likes or dislikes or small inconveniences. I do 2 things, watch IPTV and movies/series, so with the additions I’ve made to mt Max system I’m a happy camper. But I appreciate the concern you all show for me. It’s actually endearing.

5 Likes

I started out with the FS crap, but soon realized the futility of trying to keep up. That’s when I bought my1st Nvidia in 2015. Then bought another in 2017 and now have my 3rd I bought in 2019. Thay are all used on a daily basis and work as good as the day I bought them.

Now compare that with how many times people have “upgraded” buying Amazon stuff and always looking for a way to work around the Amazon bloat…amongst other things.

And the thing is I spend more time viewing and enjoying my device and less time trying to find a work-around for Amazon.

7 Likes

I watch my Max with 100% up time. I don’t have issues and don’t bother with any work arounds. I simply use it, optimize it update it and enjoy it every day. I do all updates and love playing around with all options for streaming. All about the learning. My experience with AndroidTV has been nothing but frustrating and inconvenient. So I stick with what I know and enjoy. This is why there are several main streaming OSs and everyone gets to choose what they like. Kinda a Ford vs. Chevy scenario. I forgot to mention this is the same Max I’ve had since they were first released.

5 Likes

Exactly…and the small town I grew up in was a Chevy, Ford or Chrysler muscle car town…& each person was adamant about their particular car make…ha ha. Ahhh…what memories :sunglasses:

3 Likes

No disrespect, but you’ve said that about any Amazon product you have continually upgraded from. Here’s the thing, I have not upgrade anything. My 2015 Nvidia works as good as new, and the only upgrade is the update Nvidia has pushed through. Yeah, they cost more upfront, but I figure I have saved money and aggravation in the long run.

2 Likes