Amazon Fire TV Cube, 3rd Gen

Gentlemen,

Is it possible to run an Amazon Fire TV Cube, 3rd Gen with the latest update? Somehow they disabled Downloader and several other apps from working. Is there an effective workaround? Thank You all for your sage advice and tips as I am not computer savvy.

What do you mean? It should work just fine with apps and such.

I don’t have the Cube, but I have accepted all of Amazon’s updates on my 4k and Max, and Downloader works just fine. I don’t think the Cube’s update would be different or anything. Could you describe more in detail about what is going on? Does it involve any other apps?

Have you enabled the developer options and ADB?

With the New Amazon update on 01/25 it has disabled Download and my Launchers from working. Developer Options have been enabled. I don’t believe I use ADB. I was pissed so I returned it under warranty and purchased the Nvidia Shield TV Pro but I am not happy with this either. A lot of the Apps do not work with this, I get buffering on some movies, and the remote does not work on some things I try to click on. I had to add a wireless mouse to make do.

In conclusion, I would rather go back to the 3rd Gen Cube but not if I can’t use Downloader. Thanks for your assistance, I really appreciate it.

Several Amazon updates ago disabled launchers. To use a custom launcher now, you have to use Launch on Boot (in Troy’s Toolbox) and then set it up to launch your launcher at boot of the device. The downloader issue I have no idea. All of my Amazon boxes downloader works just fine. Maybe uninstall/reinstall that app?

1 Like

Thanks, ADM237. It’s so frustrating trying to figure these things out without Troy help.

That’s what we’re here for!

1 Like

What apps don’t work on the Nvidia? Buffering, most likely is due to your ISP, the specific apps, and or your IPTV service provider.

What function and/or features do not work on your nVidia remote?

You can download the Mouse Toggle for Android. I believe TP has it in his ToolBox. You can also download the NVIDIA SHIELD TV - Apps on Google Play I use this app a lot using my phone and tablet to type long urls and such.

More curious about what apps don’t work and what remote functions don’t work.

What Nvidia did you buy? What is your speed? Who is your ISP?

I overlooked the part where he is unhappy with the Shield. He would definitely be in the minority lol. Would like to hear more in detail about the issues with the Shield, as I don’t believe there is any chance it could be the Shield’s fault for them.

No way, unless he is unlucky and got a bum one. Straight out of the box a Shield has more than enough storage. So, I don’t understand why some of his apps wouldn’t load. I have yet to find an app that I cannot load on my Shields. Hell, I even have apps on them that are only made for phones and tablets!

I am confused to what he means by the remote not working on some things and needed to download some sort of wireless mouse.

Something is not right here!

Edit: I just today finally found an app, after 8 years, that seemingly I cannot download on my Nvidia. I did download this TV app on my tablet and believe I could do the same on my phone, but I must have tried a dozen or so links, used 3 different browsers (including Downloader), tried various versions, but found no joy!

Disclaimer: Reading TP’s review and install tutorial on this TV app states it is no longer available. So, don’t know why I can download it on my tablet, but not my Nvidia. It’s not a big deal, it’s just another one of those live streaming apps.

Yea a bum box is always a possibility, although I’m not sure I have ever heard someone say they got a defective Shield in here. Never know though.

1 Like

I have the Nvidia Shield TV Pro. I did a factory Reset. When I try to activate Cache Cleaner it kills one of the USB ports. I need that port to enable a wireless mouse to be able to click on different applications because the (mouse for Android TV) will not do it. The other USB port has 128gig flash drive installed.

Watching Paramount + (paid edition) I get some buffering watching the Mayor of Kingstown. My download speed is 144, upload 44 using Nord VPN.

You don’t need a wireless mouse! Download Mouse Toggle for Android. I believe TP has the apk in his Toolbox or you download it from here: Mouse Toggle for Android TV (Android) - Download (softonic.com)

I use the fluxii version 1.52 and it works flawlessly.

Also, download this app on your phone and/or tablet. This app is a MUST for using with a nVidia! You will have access to ALL your apps and settings, and you will have at your disposal 3 different kinds of mouse pads to use, and not to mention a keyboard to use on ANY app you need to type on.

NVIDIA SHIELD TV - Apps on Google Play

Btw, I have speeds much greater than that and I will get some buffering from time to time. ALL devices and services can and will buffer at times. There is NO getting around that for 100% the time. But I will say this, I doubt very seriously if your Nvidia Pro is to blame for your buffering!

Oh, I almost forgot, make sure you go into your nvidia settings>Device preferences>Accessibility>Mouse Toggle ON

Use the fluxii link to download. The Play Store one may have a conflict?

I can’t remember whether I got it from Softronics or APKPure.Here is the APKPure download (DO NOT USE THE PLAY STORE)

Mouse Toggle for Android TV Latest Version 1.52 for Android (apkpure.com)

2 Likes

Powerfader, Thank You so much.

1 Like

All my 4k sticks have been updated auto… and downloader works on all…why your didnt is mind blowing!!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 7 days. New replies are no longer allowed.