Amazon does it again

On my 4K Max Firestick I just updated 7.2.5.5 to 7.2.7.9 and now there is a “forced app updater” installed and giving “notifications”. Not entirely sure what this means for the stick but I think the name pretty much says it all. I do know an update was downloaded without any input from me. Oh well, updating even more now, and who knows what.

@Miki

Its to ensure your device gets updated, all apps installed and inculding forced updates on restart, so if you had blocked updates and this check goes it will force you to update the stick.

So they are just making sure your stick gets updated as soon as its ready, the only way to stop it would be a root or not allowing your stick to use internet.

2 Likes

Ya that’s exactly what I figured. Even less control. But it’s my only device for now, so I’ll make the best of it as always. It did a total of 8 updates in a row from 7.2.5.5 to 7.2.7.9. Yowsa.

2 Likes

Get that mecool out of the closet floor and stop kicking it :rofl:

3 Likes

Only started using Firestick 4 months ago. Im thinking Ive left it late to joining the party. Amazon looks like they are going all out to ‘lock down’ the device and prevent all the benefits enjoyed via jailbreaking.

2 Likes

pretty much appears what they are up to.

3 Likes

Ya I think @TXRon is correct. Time to dust off the km2 and see if I can get it to run properly, just not looking forward to all the setup stuff again.

1 Like

I will be with ya. Ive got one of my km2’s off the shelf and getting ready to set it up for a backup. I have one km2 in service and it really does well with zero issues so far

3 Likes

Ok We I’ll PM ya if you don’t mind.

4 Likes

Dont take this as the end of times, lots of devices auto update, just you cant stop amazons. Its merly for custom stuff. As soon as they change side loaded apps im out

5 Likes

I have a new km7 that I would love to switch to. But it throttles download speeds so badly that’s it’s unusable. Can’t play anything without freezing and warnings from Kodi that my source speed is too slow. So I end up switching back to my FS 4K max.

2 Likes

Hey @Riceyepie OK…you’ve peaked my interest…how does your android box “throttle” your download speeds?

3 Likes

@TP-Dracoo if you are OUT when Amazon blocks side loaded apps, how’s that Wolf Launcher workin’ for ya, or any launcher or launch manager app? IMO Amazon is already blocking 3rd pay apps. I’ve been nothing but a Negative Nellie today, Sorry! If you have a firestick it’s a decent device, keep it. If asked to recommend a device for a newbie or as a replacement, ONN $19, TiVo 4k $34, MeCool $70ish, and so on.
Even 2 years ago, Amazon was the King of a small pool of manufacturers, today it’s just one of the players. I would love to see Troy and TDUK and others only talk about streaming, instead of Streaming on Amazon. If you’re not on their payroll, why defend them.
Think I’ll watch a ballgame and dispel all my negative vibes.

3 Likes

@BigDave

Iike my 4k max and it works just fine. I dont use custom launchers on my devices. Not my thing. However i will play with them and make sure to max out my performance and stuff.

If amazon blocks all sideloaded content then i womt support them. For now all is well.

My advice, go with nvidia, formuler, ugoos or a computer.

3 Likes

:+1: :sunglasses: True, ONN boxes are a great example of alt streaming free of amazon…but who to run from next…google?

1 Like

@BigDave

Its not just amazon, we hit every market on every popular device.

2 Likes

I still say stock android is your best bet. Yea you lose a few certification perks, so what…you can do as you please with the device.

2 Likes

@TP-Dracoo So it doesn’t count that Amazon blocks launcher apps. Well, I don’t need or use Kodi, so would it count? And heck yes, I would run from Google if there was a viable alternative that offer features similar or more to my expectations. I’m old so history is important to me. In the 1930s there was a saying, First they came for the intellectuals and we didn’t object, then they came for the Jews and we didn’t object, then they came for me.
Currently there is no viable replacement for Google, but plenty of Amazon replacements. And when Amazon blocks apps, I Object! You’re the one that said if Amazon blocks sideloaded apps, you’re out.

2 Likes

@BigDave

Yes, i ment i wouldnt buy amazon product. I was referring to when you said troy should so stuff for other devices, we do… he shows you how to do stuff on all android pretty much. Anything with android os is done the same.

You do realize their is options? I have listed some.

1 Like

I never said Troy doesn’t show other stuff, because he does show other stuff. What I did say was I wanted Troy and others to instruct only on streaming not on streaming on Amazon. As you pointed out, anything on Android os is (fundamentally) the same. But you are the Moderator and I retreat.

1 Like