Amazon 4k TV Stick Ethernet Over TV HDMI

Is the 4k tv stick capable of transmitting ethernet over TV HDMI?
Both my 4k sticks get full speeds of 65mbps+ through wifi, but only around 20-30mbps over ethernet cable. Worse in peak times.
If the 4k stick is capable, are there some settings to configure? or are there extra cables I need to connect to get correct ethernet speed? Thank you for any info you have…

3 Likes

The 4K Max has a 10/100 port. So if you have your modem in line of site, under 30 ft from your stick and have the 5GHz band enabled you get better speeds with WiFi.

Thanks for responding. Mine is not a max, it’s a 3 year old 4k, but it would be the same, right?

I would keep your firestick on wifi.

1 Like

Thanks. I’m starting to realise wifi is better, because unless your using ethernet through a PC the speed isn’t that great.

1 Like

IMO…most streaming devices are going to have better wifi radios in them than ethernet ports…it’s a wifi/bluetooth world & convenience rules. My KM6 box is hardwired & gets slightly better speeds than my wifi…but my router technology is a few years old…a new router would probably equal it. I use an ethernet cable mainly for the shielding from outside radio frequencies that could possibly interfere with my stream (I live near an airport). My modem/router is mere feet away from my box, so either way works very well.

2 Likes

Thanks for the info. My router is less than a metre from my TV and 4k stick, but on ethernet, I can only get off peak max speed of about 30Mbps, with wifi 60Mbps+.Yet my PC is 2 rooms away, with 30mtr ethernet cable and get 60Mbps+ speeds. After much testing, the problem seems to be in the HDMI technology, although my PC is connected to 2 monitors with HDMI and receive good speeds. So maybe it’s the equipment process before it gets to HDMI. I think I’ll just leave that TV on wifi. Thanks for all the help this forum gives me. Cheers.

Copy all that…If I remember correctly, you pretty much determined that the tv is the culprit. As long as you can get enough speed from wifi on that tv…then just chalk it up to gremlins & call it good. :roll_eyes:

1 Like

I couldn’t put it better myself. After thinking it was that TV, I did more tests. I found that any tv or monitor that I connected had bad speeds. I also connected the PC monitor and same bad speeds. So any ethernet connection not put through the PC has bad speeds. Yes. Gremlins! for sure. Cheers.

You don’t get internet with hdmi… ethernet is the best stable connection, but on a firestick its not recommend.

Stick with your wifi sir.

Thank you for the advise. I will be staying on wifi…

I have no Ethernet port on my 4k Max. Were there actually a few releases of this?

@Miki I bought an ONN on Ebay and the seller seemed ok, I ask if she would ship to Mexico. If she replies yes, I can send you an ONN. I’ll let you know when she gives me an answer.

Wow RJ that’s over the top generous of you. Please be sure to ask about import/export fees.

1 Like

She doesn’t know how Ebay sends it but, if the shipping fee is too high Ebay cancels the order. You can order it on Ebay, or I can order it but need your address.

No. It’s a UGreen brand multifunctional ethernet, USB port add on. Troy has a video on how to do it. Cheers.

Ah, ok! Now that makes more sense. Thank you.

This topic was automatically closed after 7 days. New replies are no longer allowed.