2019 Nvidia Pro P2897 Ver. 11--VS. FireCube

I may have missed it above, but have you tried the new Kodi 20? I feel like maybe it isn’t a coincidence that this is happening when 20 is now the stable version. If you have, my apologies, I know you have tried everything. It is just weird it is only Kodi and when Kodi recently upgraded.

update: “and yes, I’ve tried 20, as well as 19.5, and 19.3 and 19.4” Sorry, missed that. But I still find the timing strange.

Understood, well duds do happen even with the shield. It just makes no sense that all works except kodi. When you try kodi again pick another build, if stock thats even more strange. I would always go minimal on kodi as its a resource hog anyways.

Yeah, strange for sure. I don’t like to just be a “Parts Changer” Per Se, I’ve always been good at troubleshooting all things electrical and mechanical–even software like reflash and setup DD-WRT on a router, but if something weird is happening inside a sealed box, well there’s not much you can do other than externally. The only other thing I haven’t tried is to take it to my neighbor’s house–he has Fios and I have Xfinity, but our speeds are pretty close. Worth a try I suppose.

Whelp, I Requisitioned a replacement from BB for $214. to be picked up tonight. I may not get to the complete setup/test by tonight, but I WILL post back as to my results before the “6 Day” timeout!

Thanks again to all who responded to my poorly worded initial post(!)
I probably shouldn’t have posted at 10pm on a Sunday night after spending the day next door with my Vodka loving friend from Berlin…but that’s on me.

1 Like

@TXRon @AMD237 @Powerfader

Quick update: Picked up a new Shield Pro at BB last night, loaded several different Kodi builds and addons, full reset each time, and no matter what I load, it just works. No glitching, No crashes. What a difference!
So I went back earlier tonight, with the dud in the box and the Receipt. They didn’t even look in the box, they credited me back the $213.83, and promptly tossed the box in one of those wheeled Rubbermaid dumpster bins.
So there’s an unsolved mystery as to why the 1st Shield wouldn’t run Kodi. My “IT” go-to friend suggests that it’s probably bad memory–or corrupted firmware instructions, since my Synology 918+ transcodes (for Plex) and more or less uses the Shield as a LAN connection to the TV, Whereas Kodi actually uses the computing power and memory of the Shield to render a HD video.
That’s just speculation, and we’ll never know…I asked the guy behind the counter if they “Shouldn’t send it back to Nvidia to see what’s wrong with it?”…He laughed a bit and said; “We put Open Box TV’s out for a while when somebody returns one, but even the big ones that don’t sell in a week or 2 get Spiked and dumped in the recycle bin”…He added; “Little stuff like your streaming box goes to the landfill, adding that 99% of the small stuff that’s returned is perfectly good, but we have to dump it in the compactor with an associate and manager witnessing it.” Wouldn’t want employees “Stealing trash!”…yeah, I know–someone clever could run a return racket with a bunch of smurfs, but it still seems wrong.

Thanks Again for everyone that responded. Kind Regards, Mike

5 Likes

Congrats! So glad it worked out!!!

2 Likes

just goes to show ya, ya never know. Even Cadilac makes a lemon time to time :face_with_diagonal_mouth:

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 7 days. New replies are no longer allowed.